Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Women's Health Issues
- Prepregnancy insurance and timely prenatal care for Medicaid births: Before and after the Affordable Care Act in Ohio.Journal of Women’s Health. 2019; 28: 654-664
Alabama Administrative Code r. 420-4-1-.11. Available: https://www.alabamapublichealth.gov/blog/assets/notifiablediseases.pdf. Accessed: January 11, 2023.
- Medicaid for pregnant women. American Pregnancy Association.(Available:)https://americanpregnancy.org/healthy-pregnancy/planning/medicaid-for-pregnant-women/Date: 2021Date accessed: January 11, 2023
- P.L. 117-2.2021 (Available:)https://www.congress.gov/117/plaws/publ2/PLAW-117publ2.pdfDate accessed: January 11, 2023
- The Perinatal quality enhancement program: improving quality care and health outcomes.(Available:)https://www.amerihealthcaritasla.com/pdf/provider/resources/qep-manual-preinatal.pdfDate: 2020Date accessed: January 11, 2023
- Improving prenatal care and delivery in the wake of COVID-19: Lessons from the strong start evaluation.Health Affairs. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1377/hblog20200622.52532
- Sexually transmitted disease surveillance 2019, national overview.(Available:)https://www.cdc.gov/std/statistics/2019/std-surveillance-2019.pdfDate: 2021Date accessed: January 11, 2023
- Congenital syphilis: Preliminary 2020 data.(Available:)
- Fact Sheet: Congenital syphilis.(Available:)https://www.cdc.gov/STI/syphilis/STIfact-congenital-syphilis.htmDate: 2021Date accessed: January 11, 2023
- Sexually transmitted infections treatment guidelines, 2021: Syphilis during pregnancy.(Available:)https://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment-guidelines/syphilis-pregnancy.htmDate: 2021Date accessed: January 11, 2023
- Sexually transmitted disease surveillance 2018. Special focus profiles: STIs in racial and ethnic minorities.(Available:)https://www.cdc.gov/std/syphilis/stdfact-congenital-syphilis.htmDate: 2019Date accessed: January 11, 2023
- Preconception uninsurance: associations with prenatal care and pregnancy outcomes.American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2019; 220: S492-S493
- Medicaid and CHIP coverage for pregnant women: Federal requirements, state options.Georgetown University Health Policy Institute, Washington, DC.2020
- Medicaid expansion improved perinatal insurance continuity for low-income women.Health Affairs (Millwood). 2020; 39: 1531-1539
- Factors associated with postpartum uninsurance among Medicaid-paid births.JAMA Health Forum. 2021; 2: e211054
- Adoption of Medicaid expansion is associated with lower maternal mortality.Womens Health Issues. 2020; 30: 147-152
- Undocumented immigrants in the United States: access to prenatal care. the undocumented patients project.(Available:)https://undocumented.thehastingscenter.org/issuebrief/undocumented-immigrants-in-the-united-states-access-to-prenatal-care/Date: 2014Date accessed: January 11, 2023
Georgia Code § 31-17-4.2. Available: https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2020/title-31/chapter-17/section-31-17-4-2/. Accessed: January 11, 2023.
- Trends and characteristics of sexually transmitted infections during pregnancy: United States, 2016–2018.National Vital Statistics Report. 2020; 69: 1-11
- Medicaid family planning eligibility expansions.(Available)https://www.guttmacher.org/state-policy/explore/medicaid-family-planning-eligibility-expansionsDate: 2020Date accessed: January 11, 2023
- Characteristics of remaining uninsured men and potential strategies to reach and enroll them in health coverage.Kaiser Family Foundation, Washington, DC2016
- The impact of COVID-19 on prenatal care in the United States: Qualitative analysis from a survey of 2519 pregnant women.Midwifery. 2021; 98: 102991
- Racial disparities in uninsurance among new mothers following the Affordable Care Act. Urban Institute.(Available:)https://www.urban.org/sites/default/files/publication/100693/racial_disparities_in_uninsurance_among_new_mothers_following_the_affordable_care_act_0.pdfDate: 2019Date accessed: January 11, 2023
- Medicaid/CHIP coverage of lawfully-residing immigrant children and pregnant women (as of Jan. 2021). Kaiser Family Foundation.(Available:)https://www.kff.org/health-reform/state-indicator/medicaid-chip-coverage-of-lawfully-residing-immigrant-children-and-pregnant-womenDate: 2021Date accessed: January 11, 2023
- Medicaid postpartum coverage extension tracker.(Available:)https://www.kff.org/medicaid/issue-brief/medicaid-postpartum-coverage-extension-tracker/Date: 2021Date accessed: January 11, 2023
- Medicaid and CHIP income eligibility limits for pregnant women as a percent of the federal poverty level.(Available:)https://www.kff.org/health-reform/state-indicator/medicaid-and-chip-income-eligibility-limits-for-pregnant-women-as-a-percent-of-the-federal-poverty-level/Date: 2020Date accessed: January 11, 2023
- Medicaid income eligibility limits for adults as a percent of the federal poverty level. Kaiser Family Foundation.(Available:)https://www.kff.org/health-reform/state-indicator/medicaid-income-eligibility-limits-for-adults-as-a-percent-of-the-federal-poverty-level/Date: 2020Date accessed: January 11, 2023
- Presumptive eligibility in Medicaid and CHIP. Kaiser Family Foundation.(Available:)https://www.kff.org/health-reform/state-indicator/presumptive-eligibility-in-medicaid-chip/Date: 2020Date accessed: January 11, 2023
Kentucky Revised Statutes § 214.160. Available: https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/law/statutes/statute.aspx?id=50037#:∼:text=(1)%20Every%20physician%20and%20every,reasonable%20grounds%20for%20suspecting%20that. Accessed: January 11, 2023.
- Use of national syphilis surveillance data to develop a congenital syphilis prevention cascade and estimate the number of potential congenital syphilis cases averted.Sexually Transmitted Diseases. 2018; 45: S23-S28
- Guidelines for perinatal care.American Academy of Pediatrics. 2017; (Available:)https://publications.aap.org/aapbooks/book/522/Guidelines-for-Perinatal-Care?autologincheck=redirectedDate accessed: January 11, 2023
- Missed opportunities for prevention of congenital syphilis - United States, 2018.MMWR Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. 2020; 69: 661-665
- Congenital syphilis in the USA.Lancet. 2018; 392: 1168
- Prenatal syphilis screening among Medicaid enrollees in 6 southern states.American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2022; 62: 770-776
Louisiana Statutes Annotated-R.S. § 40:1121.21. Available: http://legis.la.gov/legis/Law.aspx?d=964316. Accessed: January 11, 2023.
- Medicaid’s role in financing maternity care.(Available:)https://www.macpac.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Medicaid%E2%80%99s-Role-in-Financing-Maternity-Care.pdfDate: 2020Date accessed: January 11, 2023
- June 2020 report to congress on Medicaid and CHIP, chapter 5: Medicaid’s role in maternal health.(Available:)https://www.macpac.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/June-2020-Report-to-Congress-on-Medicaid-and-CHIP.pdfDate: 2020Date accessed: January 11, 2023
- Changes in new mothers’ health care access and affordability under the affordable care act. the urban institute.(Available:)https://www.urban.org/sites/default/files/publication/102984/changes-in-new-mothers-health-care-access-and-affordability-under-aca.pdfDate: 2020Date accessed: January 11, 2023
- Medicaid expansion increased preconception health counseling, folic acid intake, and postpartum contraception.Health Affairs. 2020; 39: 1883-1890
- COVID-19 and the state of the STI field.(Available:)https://www.ncsddc.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/STD-Field.Survey-Report.Final_.5.13.20.pdfDate: 2020Date accessed: January 11, 2023
North Carolina Administrative Code 41A.0204. Available: http://reports.oah.state.nc.us/ncac/title%2010a%20-%20health%20and%20human%20services/chapter%2041%20-%20epidemiology%20health/subchapter%20a/10a%20ncac%2041a%20.0204.pdf. Accessed: January 11, 2023.
- Timing and adequacy of prenatal care in the United States, 2016.National Vital Statistics Report. 2018; 67: 1-14
- Expanding postpartum Medicaid coverage. Kaiser Family Foundation.(Available:)https://www.kff.org/womens-health-policy/issue-brief/expanding-postpartum-medicaid-coverage/Date: 2019Date accessed: January 11, 2023
- Disparities in preconception health indicators — behavioral risk factor surveillance system, 2013–2015, and pregnancy risk assessment monitoring system, 2013–2014.MMWR Surveillance Summaries. 2018; 67: 1-16
- Medicaid expansion: frequently asked questions.Center for Budget and Policy Priorities: Washington, DC. 2021;
- Factors contributing to congenital syphilis cases — New York City, 2010–2016.MMWR Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. 2018; 67: 1088-1093
South Carolina Code § 44-29-120. Available: https://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t44c029.php. Accessed: January 11, 2023.
Tennessee Code § 68-5-602. Available: https://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2021/title-68/chapter-5/part-6/section-68-5-602/. Accessed: January 11, 2023.
- Congenital syphilis. Merck manuals.(Available:)https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/pediatrics/infections-in-neonates/congenital-syphilisDate: 2020Date accessed: January 11, 2023
- National trends and reported risk factors among pregnant women with syphilis in the United States, 2012–2016.Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2019; 133: 27-32
- Incidence trends, risk factors, mortality and healthcare utilization in congenital syphilis-related hospitalizations in the United States: a nationwide population analysis.The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal. 2019; 38: 1126-1130
- Predictors of non-attendance to the postpartum follow-up visit.Maternal and Child Health Journal. 2016; 20: 22-27
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Funding Statement: The work of N.S., C.H., P.O.-L., A.K., G.D., A.O., H.S., and K.H. on this project was supported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.