Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). (2009). Available at: www.ahrq.gov.
- Evaluation of the quality of care in the clinical care centers of the National Centers of Excellence in Women's Health.Womens Health Issues. 2002; 12: 309-326
- Gender disparities in the quality of cardiovascular disease care in private managed care plans.Womens Health Issues. 2007; 17: 120-130
Department of Veterans Affairs. (2010a). Patient aligned care team (PACT). Available at: http://www.va.gov/primarycare/pcmh/.
Department of Veterans Affairs. (2010b). VHA handbook 1330.01 healthcare services for women veterans. Available at: http://vaww1.va.gov/vhapublications/ViewPublication.asp?pub_ID=2246.
Department of Veterans Affairs. (2014). Office of Analytics and Business Intelligence. Available at: http://www.womenshealth.va.gov/WOMENSHEALTH/docs/OIA-BRCO_GenderHealthCareReport.pdf.
- Differences in clinical communication by gender.Journal of General Internal Medicine. 1999; 14: 112-121
- Explaining the decrease in U.S. deaths from coronary disease, 1980-2000.New England Journal of Medicine. 2007; 356: 2388-2398
- Patient gender and communication with physicians: results of a community-based study.Womens Health. 1995; 1: 77-95
- The prevalence and age-related characteristics of pain in a sample of women veterans receiving primary care.Journal of Womens Health (Larchmt). 2006; 15: 862-869
- Prevalence of painful musculoskeletal conditions in female and male veterans in 7 years after return from deployment in Operation Enduring Freedom/Operation Iraqi Freedom.Clinical Journal of Pain. 2012; 28: 163-167
- Are two doctors better than one? Women's physician use and appropriate care.Womens Health Issues. 2002; 12: 138-149
- Sex inequalities in ischaemic heart disease in general practice: Cross sectional survey.BMJ. 2001; 322: 832
Office of Analytics and Business Intelligence. (2011). Performance measurement gender report FY 2011. Available at: http://vaww.oqp.med.va.gov/programs/pm/pmGenderReporting.aspx. Accessed January 16, 2011.
- Changes in disparities following the implementation of a health information technology-supported quality improvement initiative.Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2012; 27: 71-77
- Risk of selected cardiovascular diseases and posttraumatic stress disorder among former World War II prisoners of war.Annals of Epidemiology. 2006; 16: 381-386
- Communication and the medical interview. Strategies for learning and teaching.Journal of General Internal Medicine. 1997; 12: S49-55
- Review of evidence and explanations for suboptimal screening and treatment of dyslipidemia in women. A conceptual model.Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2003; 18: 854-863
- More than a pain in the neck: How discussing chronic pain affects hypertension medication intensification.Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2009; 24: 911-916
- Disparity in management of diabetes and coronary heart disease risk factors by sex in DCCT/EDIC.Diabetic Medicine. 2010; 27: 451-458
- Mortality rate in veterans with multiple chronic conditions.Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2007; 22: 403-407
- Heart disease and stroke statistics–2009 update: A report from the American Heart Association Statistics Committee and Stroke Statistics Subcommittee.Circulation. 2009; 119: 480-486
- Accuracy of diagnoses of schizophrenia in Medicaid claims.Hospital & Community Psychiatry. 1992; 43: 69-71
- Predictors of nonadherence to statins: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 2010; 44: 1410-1421
- Soliciting the patient's agenda: have we improved?.JAMA. 1999; 281: 283-287
- Disparities in lipid management for African Americans and Caucasians with coronary artery disease: A national cross-sectional study.BMC Cardiovascular Disorders. 2004; 4: 15
- Validating smoking data from the Veteran's Affairs Health Factors dataset, an electronic data source.Nicotine & Tobacco Research. 2011; 13: 1233-1239
- Effectiveness-based guidelines for the prevention of cardiovascular disease in women–2011 update: A guideline from the American heart association.Circulation. 2011; 123: 1243-1262
- Guide to preventive cardiology for women. AHA/ACC Scientific Statement Consensus panel statement.Circulation. 1999; 99: 2480-2484
- Opportunity for intervention to achieve American Heart Association guidelines for optimal lipid levels in high-risk women in a managed care setting.Circulation. 2005; 111: 488-493
- Twelve-year follow-up of American women's awareness of cardiovascular disease risk and barriers to heart health.Circulation Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes. 2010; 3: 120-127
- Ambulatory hypercholesterolemia management in patients with atherosclerosis. Gender and race differences in processes and outcomes.Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2005; 20: 123-130
- Heart disease and stroke statistics–2011 update: A report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2011; 123: e18-e209
- Frequency of serum low-density lipoprotein cholesterol measurement and frequency of results < or =100 mg/dl among patients who had coronary events (Northwest VA Network Study).American Journal of Cardiology. 2001; 88: 1143-1146
- How do family physicians prioritize delivery of multiple preventive services?.Journal of Family Practice. 1994; 38: 231-237
- Guideline on the treatment of blood cholesterol to reduce atherosclerotic cardiovascular risk in adults.Circulation. 2013; 129: S1-S45
- Gender disparities in lipid-lowering therapy among veterans with diabetes.Womens Health Issues. 2011; 21: S176-181
- Global burden of cardiovascular diseases: Part I: General considerations, the epidemiologic transition, risk factors, and impact of urbanization.Circulation. 2001; 104: 2746-2753
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the position or policy of the Department of Veterans Affairs or the NIH.
The authors report no financial conflicts of interest.
Financial Support: This research was supported by the VA HSR&D grant # DHI07-065 (Haskell, Brandt) and CTSA Grant Number UL1 RR024139 from the National Center for Research Resources (NCRR) and the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS).