Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Ahmad, O., Boschi-Pinto, C., Lopez, A., Murray, C., Lozano, R., & Inoue, M. (2010, 2001). Age standardization of rates: a new WHO standard. Retrieved March 1, 2012, from World Health Organization www.who.int/entity/healthinfo/paper31.pdf.
- Introduction to 'social and economic patterning of women's health in a changing world'.Social Science & Medicine. 2002; 54: 643-647
- How socio-economic change shapes income inequality in post-socialist Europe.Social Forces. 2010; 88: 2133-2161
- The self-reported health status of lone parents.Social Science & Medicine. 1998; 46: 1337-1353
- Health inequalities between lone and couple mothers and policy under different welfare regimes-The example of Italy, Sweden and Britain.Social Science & Medicine. 2010; 70: 912-920
- Female-headed households and female-maintained families: are they worth targeting to reduce poverty in developing countries?.Economic Development and Cultural Change. 1997; 45: 259-280
- Women-headed Households: Diversity and Dynamics in the Developing World.Palgrave Macmillan, Houndmills, Basingstoke, UK1997
- Lone mothers in nations of the south.in: Neil J.S. Paul B.B. International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences. Pergamon, Oxford2001: 9046-9052
- Female household headship, privation, and power: Challenging the “feminization of poverty” thesis.in: Fernandez-Kelly P. Shefiner J. Out of the Shadows: Political Action and the Informal Economy in Latin America. The Pennsylvania State University Press, University Park, PA2006
- Gender inequality in poverty in affluent nations: the role of single motherhood and the state.in: Vleminckx K. Smeeding T.M. Child Well-Being, Child Poverty and Child Policy in Modern Nations. What Do We Know? Policy Press, Bristol2001: 199-220
- Lone mothers.Women History Review. 2011; 20: 3-9
- Health in Eastern Europe.Lancet. 1990; 335: 458-460
- Does non-employment contribute to the health disadvantage among lone mothers in Britain, Italy and Sweden? Synergy effects and the meaning of family policy.Health & Place. 2011; 18: 199-208
- Urban advantage or urban penalty? A case study of female-headed households in a South African city.Health & Place. 2010; 16: 573-580
- Health consequences of employment and unemployment: Longitudinal evidence for young men and women.Social Science & Medicine. 1993; 36: 715-724
- Principles of multilevel modelling.International Journal of Epidemiology. 2000; 29: 158-167
Hausmann, R., Tyson, L., & Zahidi, S. (2011). The Global Gender Gap Report 2006. Retrieved April 14, 2012, from: The World Economic Forum, http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_GenderGap_Report_2006.pdf.
- The politics of women's economic independence.Social Politics. 2009; 16: 1-39
- Health perceptions and survival: Do global evaluations of health status really predict mortality?.Journal of Gerontology. 1991; 46: S55-S65
- Lone mothers in affluent nations.in: Neil J.S. Paul B.B. International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences. Pergamon, Oxford2001: 9041-9046
- Getting to hear the voices of the unwed mothers: Their decisions to keep their babies for lone motherhood.International Journal of Adolescent Medicine and Health. 2011; 23: 147-152
- Household childcare choices and women's work behavior in Russia.The Journal of Human Resources. 2004; 39: 1094-1115
- Single mothers in Russia: Household strategies for coping with poverty.World Development. 2000; 28: 2183-2198
- Lone mothers in Russia: Soviet and post-Soviet policy.Feminist Economics. 2011; 10: 37-60
- Parenthood and psychological well-being.Annual Review of Sociology. 1987; 13: 237-257
- Beyond the veil: Male-female dynamics in modern Muslim society.Indiana University Press, Bloomington1987
- These women, they force us to rape them: Rape as narrative of social control in post-Apartheid South Africa.Journal of Southern African Studies. 2006; 32: 129-144
- The reproduction of gender inequality in Muslim societies: A case study of Iran in the 1980s.World Development. 1991; 19: 1335-1349
- The feminization of poverty in international perspective.Brown Journal of World Affairs. 1998; 5: 225-248
- Gender and social policy: Comparing welfare states in Central and Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union.Journal of European Social Policy. 2000; 10: 240-266
Pew Research Center. (2009). Mapping the global Muslim population: a report on the size and distribution of the world's Muslim population. Retrieved April 8, 2012, from: http://pewforum.org/uploadedfiles/Topics/Demographics/Muslimpopulation.pdf.
- The many faces of gender inequality.New Republic. 2001; 225: 35-40
- Health: Perception versus observation.BMJ. 2002; 324: 860-861
- What accounts for depressive symptoms among mothers? The impact of socioeconomic status, family structure and psychosocial stress.International Journal of Public Health. 2011; 56: 385-396
- Welfare state transformation, childcare, and women's work in Russia.Social Politics: International Studies in Gender, State, and Society. 2007; 14: 284-322
Toch, M., Bambra, C., Lunau, T., Van der Wel, K., Witvliet, M. I., Dragano, N. et al. (2013). All part of the job? The contribution of the psychosocial and physical work environment to health inequalities in Europe and the European health divide. International Journal of Health Services.
United Nations. (1998). Country Report South Africa: Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women. Retrieved April 4, 2012, from: http://www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/cedaw/reports.htm.
UN Common Database. (2008). In United Nations Statistics Division. Retrieved January 15, 2012, from: http://data.un.org/Data.aspx?d=CDB&f=srID%3a29922.
Üstün, T., Chatterji, S., Villanueva, M., Bendib, L., Çelik, C., Sadana, R. et al. (2010, 2001). WHO Multi-country Survey Study on Health and Responsiveness 2000-2001. Retrieved January 15, 2012, from: http://www.who.int/healthinfo/survey/whspaper37.pdf.
- Macro-level gender equality and depression in men and women in Europe.Sociology of Health and Illness. 2012; : 1-17
- Women heading households: some more equal than others?.World Development. 1996; 24: 505-520
- Feminist perspectives on urban poverty: De-essentialising difference.in: Peake L. Rieker M. Rethinking Feminist Interventions into the Urban. Routledge, London2013: 125-141
- The East-West life expectancy gap: Differences in mortality from conditions amenable to medical intervention.International Journal of Epidemiology. 1997; 26: 75-84
- Prevalence of psychiatric disorder in lone fathers and mothers: Examining the intersection of gender and family structure on mental health.Canadian Journal of Psychiatry-Revue. 2011; 56: 567-573
- Widows and social security.Social Security Bulletin. 2010; 70: 89-109
- Mortality among lone mothers in Sweden: A population study.Lancet. 2000; 355: 1215-1219
- Variations between world regions in individual health: A multilevel analysis of the role of socio-economic factors.European Journal of Public Health. 2011; 22: 284-289
World Health Organization (WHO). (2010). World Health Survey. Retrieved January 2, 2012, from http://who.int/healthinfo/survey/en/index.html.
World Health Organization (WHO) Statistical Information System. (2010). Retrieved January 16, 2012, from: http://apps.who.int/whosis/data/Search.jsp.
This research was made possible by The Netherlands organization for scientific research (NWO) awarding O.A.A. with the VENI career grant (number 916.96.059).