Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Women's Health Issues
- Mental health profiles among married, never-married, and separated/divorced mothers in a nationally representative sample.Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology. 2006; 41: 122-129
- Investigation of the disparity between New York City and national prevalence of nonspecific psychological distress among Hispanics.Preventing Chronic Disease. 2012; 9: E52
- Prevalence of psychiatric disorders across Latino subgroups in the United States.American Journal of Public Health. 2007; 97: 68-75
- Detecting depression after pregnancy: The validity of the K10 and K6 in Burkina Faso.Tropical Medicine and International Health. 2007; 12: 1225-1229
- Elevated depressive symptoms among caregiving grandparents.Health Services Research. 2004; 39: 1671-1690
Bratter, J. L. (2004). Race/ethnic differences in non-specific psychological distress: Evidence from the National Health Interview Survey. Paper presented at the Population Association of America 2004 Annual Meeting, Boston, MA. Retrieved February 8, 2012, from. http://paa2004.princeton.edu/.
- Specifying race-ethnic differences in risk for psychiatric disorder in a USA national sample.Psychological Medicine. 2006; 36: 57-68
- Stress, social support and depression in single and married mothers.Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology. 2003; 38: 442-449
- Evaluation of 2 measures of psychological distress as screeners for depression in the general population.Canadian Journal of Psychiatry. 2007; 52: 111-120
- Marital status, gender, and parents' psychological well-being.Sociological Inquiry. 2007; 7: 264-287
- Mortality prediction with a single general self-rated health question: A meta-analysis.Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2005; 20: 267-275
- Children of depressed parents: An integrative review.Psychological Bulletin. 1990; 108: 50-76
- Maternal depression in the United States: Nationally representative rates and risks.Journal of Women's Health. 2011; 20: 1609-1617
- Clarifying the relationship between parenthood and depression.Journal of Health and Social Behavior. 2005; 46: 341-358
- Infants of depressed mothers.Development and Psychopathology. 1992; 4: 49-66
- American grandparents providing extensive child care to their grandchildren: Prevalence and profile.Gerontologist. 2001; 41: 201-209
- Depression in black and white women: The role of marriage and socioeconomic status.Annals of Epidemiology. 1995; 5: 455-463
- Is parenthood associated with mental health? Findings from an epidemiological community survey.Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology. 2006; 41: 889-896
- Serious psychological distress among parenting and nonparenting adults.American Journal of Public Health. 2007; 97: 2222-2229
- The National Psychiatric Morbidity Surveys of Great Britain: Initial findings from the household survey.International Review of Psychiatry. 2003; 15: 29-42
- Short screening scales to monitor population prevalences and trends in non-specific psychological distress.Psychological Medicine. 2002; 32: 959-976
- Screening for serious mental illness in the general population.Archives of General Psychiatry. 2003; 60: 184-189
- Prevalence, severity, and comorbidity of 12-month DSM-IV disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication.Archives of General Psychiatry. 2005; 62: 617-627
- Screening for serious mental illness in the general population with the K6 screening scale: Results from the WHO World Mental Health (WMH) survey initiative.International Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research. 2010; 19: 4-22
- America's families and living arrangements: 2007.in: Current population reports. U.S. Census Bureau, Washington, DC2009
- Factors associated with major depression among mothers in Los Angeles.Women's Health Issues. 2007; 17: 316-324
- Parental major depression and the risk of depression and other mental disorders in offspring: A prospective-longitudinal community study.Archives of General Psychiatry. 2002; 59: 365-374
- Self-reported health status and mortality in a multiethnic US cohort.American Journal of Epidemiology,149. 1999; : 41-46
- Parenthood and psychological well-being.Annual Review of Sociology. 1987; 13: 237-257
- A note on race, ethnicity and nativity differentials in remarriage in the United States.Demographic Research. 2011; 24: 293-312
- The epidemiology of nonspecific psychological distress in New York City, 2002 and 2003.Journal of Urban Health. 2006; 83: 394-405
- Parenting-related stressors and self-reported mental health of mothers with young children.American Journal of Public Health. 2007; 97: 1261-1268
- Smoking practices in New York City: The use of a population-based survey to guide policy-making and programming.Journal of Urban Health. 2005; 82: 58-70
New York City Department of City Planning. (2006). Hispanic population by origin: 2006 American Community Survey (ACS). Accessed May 9, 2011 from. http://www.nyc.gov.
- Costs and rewards of children: The effects of becoming a parent on adults' lives.Journal of Marriage and Family. 2003; 65: 356-374
- Affective interactions of depressed and nondepressed mothers and their children.Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology. 1993; 21: 683-695
- The socioeconomic status of Hispanic New Yorkers: Current trends and future prospects.Pew Hispanic Center, Washington, DC2002
Shonkoff, J. P., & Garner, A. S.; Committee On Psychosocial Aspects of Child and Family Health; Committee on Early Childhood, Adoption, and Dependent Care; & Section on Developmental And Behavioral Pediatrics. (2012). The lifelong effects of early childhood adversity and toxic stress. Pediatrics, 129, e232-e246.
- Grandparents living with grandchildren: 2000. In: Census 2000 Briefs.U.S. Census Bureau, Washington, DC2003
- Implications of timing of maternal depressive symptoms for early cognitive and language development.Clinical Child and Family Psychology Review. 2006; 9: 65-83
- Generation gap in values, behaviors: As marriage and parenthood drift apart, public is concerned about social impact.Pew Research Center, Washington, DC2007
- Detecting postnatal common mental disorders in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: Validation of the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale and Kessler Scales.Journal of Affective Disorders. 2010; 122: 102-108
- New York City community health atlas 2002. United Hospital Fund, New York2002 (Accessed May 9, 2011 from)
U.S. Census Bureau. Poverty. Accessed September 2, 2011 from. http://www.census.gov.
- The difference between single and married mothers in the 12-month prevalence of major depressive syndrome, associated factors and mental health service utilization.Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology. 2004; 39: 26-32
- Reliability and validity studies of the WHO Composite International Diagnostic Interview (CIDI): A critical review.Journal of Psychiatric Research. 1994; 28: 57-84
Funded by the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.