- Preconception care.in: Hanvey L. Family-centered maternity and newborn care: national guidelines. Health Canada, Ottawa2005 (Minister of Public Works and Government Services)
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG).Guidelines for perinatal care. 5th ed. AAP, Elk Grove Village, IL2001
- Preconceptional care. ACOG Technical Bulletin No. 205.International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics. 1995; 50: 201-207
- Guidelines for women's health care.2nd ed. Author, Washington, DC2002
- The importance of preconception care in the continuum of women's health care.Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2005; 106: 665-666
- Preconceptional care of women with diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: S76-S78
- Practice parameter: Management issues for women with epilepsy (summary statement). Report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology.Neurology. 1998; 51: 944-948
Atrash, H., Jack, B.W., Johnson, K., Coonrod, D.V., Moos, M.K., Stubblefield, P., et al. (In press). Where is the "W" in MCH? American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 199 (suppl).
Baylor, A.L., &, Y. (2003). The role of gender and ethnicity in pedagogical agent perception. In Proceedings of E-Learn (World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, &s Higher Education). Phoenix, Arizona
Baylor, A.L., Shen, E., & Huang, X. (2003). Which pedagogical agent do learners choose? The effects of gender and ethnicity. In Proceedings of E-Learn (World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, & Higher Education). Phoenix, Arizona.
- Preconception and health: Research and strategies.Canada, Toronto, Ontario2002 (Available:)
- “It's just like you talk to a friend”—Relational agents for older adults, interacting with computers.Interacting With Computers. 2005; 17: 711-735
- Health dialog systems for patients and consumers.Journal of Biomedical Informatics. 2006; 39: 556-571
- Establishing the computer-patient working alliance in automated health behavior change interventions.Patient Education and Counseling. 2005; 59: 21-30
Bickmore, T., & Mauer, T. (2006). Modalities for building relationships with handheld computer agents. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI). Montreal, Canada.
Bickmore, T., & Pfeifer, L. (2008). Relational agents for antipsychotic medication adherence. In Proceedings of the CHI'08 Workshop on Technology in Mental Health. Florence, Italy, April 6, 2008.
- The role of gesture in document explanation by embodied conversational agents.International Journal of Semantic Computing. 2008; 2: 47-70
- Speech-gesture mismatches: Evidence for one underlying representation of linguistic and non-linguistic information.Pragmatics and Cognition. 1998; 6: 1-33
Cassell, J., Vilhjálmsson, H., & Bickmore, T. (2001). The behavior expression animation toolkit. In Proceedings of the SIGGRAPH '01: BEAT: Los Angeles, California.
- Recommendations for improving preconception health and health care—United States: A report of the CC/ATSDR Preconception Care Workgroup and the Select Panel on Preconception Care.Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports. 2006; 55: 1-23
- The pre-pregnancy clinic.British Medical Journal. 1980; 281: 29-30
- Chamberlain G. Lumley J. Prepregnancy care: A manual for practice. Wiley, Chichester1986
- Ten years of experience in periconceptional care.European Journal of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Biology. 1999; 84: 43-49
- Preconception healthcare: What women know and believe [electronic version].Maternal and Child Health Journal. 2006; 10: S73-S77
- Preconcepton care by the non-obstetrical provider.Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2002; 77: 469-473
- Preconception health care: a critical task for family physicians.Journal of the American Board of Family Practice. 1991; 4: 237-250
- AutoTutor: A simulation of a human tutor.Cognitive Systems Research. 1999; 1: 35-51
- Preconception care: A good beginning (publication no. 2007/19E).Health Council of the Netherlands, The Hague2007
- Are two doctors better than one? Women's physician use and appropriate care.Women's Health Issues. 2002; 12: 138-149
- American Heart Association; American College of Cardiology Foundation. American Heart Association/American College of Cardiology Foundation guide to warfarin therapy.Circulation. 2003; 107: 1692-1711
- Preventing low birth weight.National Academy Press, Washington, DC1985
- Preconception care (or how all family physicians “do” OB).American Family Physician. 1995; 51: 1807-1808
Jack, B. (2008). Translational, behavioral and clinical research: CDC's Clinical Workgroup Perspective. Preconception care research: Improving birth outcomes and reproductive health workshop. Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, April 14–15, Bethesda, Maryland.
Jack, B., & Atrash, H. (In press). The content of preconception care (special issue). American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Supplement (December 2008).
- Preconception care.in: Merkatz I.R. Thompson J.E. Mullen P.D. Goldengerg R.L. New perspectives on prenatal care. Elsevier, New York1990: 69-88
- Preconception care: Risk reduction and health promotion in preparation for pregnancy.Journal of the American Medical Association. 1990; 264: 1147-1149
- Addressing preconception risks identified at the time of a negative pregnancy test: A randomized trail.Journal of Family Practice. 1998; 47: 33-38
- Policy and finance for Preconception Care: Opportunities for Today and the Future.Women's Health Issues. 2008; 18: S2-S9
- Lifelike pedagogical agents for mixed-initiative problem solving in constructivist learning environments.User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction. 1999; 9: 1-44
Lester, J.C., Voerman, J.L., Towns, S.G., & Callaway, C.B. (1997). Cosmo: A life-like animated pedagogical agent with deictic believability. In Proceedings from the IJCAI 97. Nagoya, Aichi, Japan.
March of Dimes Birth Defects Foundation. (1993).Committee on Perinatal Health. Toward Improving the Outcome of Pregnancy (TIOP II): The 90s and Beyond. White Plains, New York.
- March of Dimes Updates: Is early prenatal care too late?.Contemporary Ob/Gyn. 2002; 12: 54-72
- Hand and mind: What gestures reveal about thought.Cambridge University Press, Cambridge1992
- Preconceptional health promotion: opportunities abound.Maternal and Child Health Journal. 2002; 6: 71-73
- Preconceptional wellness as a routine objective for women's health care: an integrative strategy.Journal of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Neonatal Nursing. 2003; 32: 550-556
- Preconceptual health promotion: A focus for obstetric care.American Journal of Perinatology. 1987; 47: 63-67
Moreno, R., Lester, J.C., & Mayer, R.E. (2000). Life-like pedagogical agents in constructivist multimedia environments: Cognitive consequences of their interaction. In Proceedings of the World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia, and Telecommunications (ED-MEDIA). Montreal, Canada.
- What obstetrician-gynecologists think of preconception care [electronic version].Maternal and Child Health Journal. 2006; 10: S59-S65
- Evaluating student learning gains in two versions of AutoTutor.in: Moore J.D. Redfield C.L. Johnson W.L. Artificial intelligence in education: AI-ED in the wired and wireless future. IOS Press, Amsterdam2001: 286-293
- Preconception care: An integral part of primary care for women.Journal of Nurse Midwifery. 1998; 43: 445-458
- Women and health care: A national profile. In Key findings from the Kaiser Women's Health Survey.Kaiser Family Foundation, Menlo Park, CA2005 (Available:)
- History of the medical home concept [electronic version].Pediatrics. 2004; 113: 1473-1478
- Healthy people 2000: National health promotion and disease prevention objectives (DHHS Pub. No. 91-502212).US Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC1991
- Healthy people 2000: Midcourse review and 1995 revisions.US Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC2000
- Health care provider knowledge and practices regarding folic acid: United States, 2002-2003 [electronic version].Maternal and Child Health Journal. 2006; 10: S67-S72
The authors have no direct financial interests that might pose a conflict of interest in connection with the submitted manuscript.
The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.